How Can I Personalize My Body Contouring After Major Weight Loss?
3 Minute Read:
Losing a significant amount of weight through diet and exercise is a transformative and powerful achievement. However, for most people who lose significant weight, the struggle of loose, unwanted skin is real.
This happens in many different areas of the body, including the abdomen, lower back, arms, thighs, chin, and buttocks.
What Happens to the Skin Following Major Weight Loss?
Following weight loss, the skin and tissues often lack elasticity and cannot contract back to the appropriate tightness. This results in excess skin that sags and hinders the final results of your weight-loss journey. Additionally, excess skin may restrict activities and cause skin irritation or sores.
Thankfully, personalized body contouring procedures for men and women who have gone through major weight loss can dramatically improve their body shape and enhance the quality of their lives.
Depending on your situation, Dr. Pearce performs customized body contouring for the specific areas affected by significant weight loss so you can achieve a firmer and more sculpted silhouette.
Which Body Contouring Procedures Are Right for Me?
Not all patients who need body contouring are the same. Everyone is different in terms of the extra skin that needs to be removed, where it needs to be removed, etc.
When you go for an initial consultation, your surgeon will consider your anatomy and aesthetic concerns and customize a treatment plan to meet your unique needs. Your body contouring procedure can be performed in stages or in a single surgery that combines multiple techniques.
The range of procedures that may be required include:
- Tummy tuck – Abdominoplasty/tummy tuck tightens the underlying abdominal muscles and removes excess fat pockets and skin. An extended tummy tuck targets the entire lower body area for a sleeker and fitter-looking appearance.
- Arm lift – An arm lift is commonly used to tighten and sculpt flabby upper arms by removing excess fat and skin.
- Breast lift – Patients who have lost massive weight may be left with saggy breasts, requiring a breast lift.
- Thigh lift – This addresses the sagging skin and tissue on the inner and outer thigh region.
- Butt lift – As with other areas, the butt may have excess skin that may need to be removed and tissue lifted for a tighter and perkier buttock appearance.
- Liposuction – Liposuction is designed to target fat of varying density on various areas of the body, creating better body definition.
Dr. Pearce knows exactly what customized approach to apply for people who have lost significant weight and want to fine-tune their appearance.
For some people, an extended tummy tuck and liposuction may work best to achieve a more toned and contoured lower body.
Others may benefit from breast or body procedures like arm lift and liposuction. It is important to work with an experienced plastic surgeon who can recommend the ideal combination for your specific contouring goals.